Picturehouse Membership Terms and Conditions:
1. WHO WE ARE
- Picturehouse Cinemas Limited is a limited company registered in England as company number 2310403 and its registered office is 8th Floor, Vantage London, Great West Road, Brentford TW8 9AG. Our registered VAT number is 9973368 53.
This website (www.picturehouses.com) is owned and operated by us (referred to in these terms and conditions simply as our website).
2. APPLICATION OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them before applying for a Membership (you may wish to print a copy for your records). By accessing our website you are agreeing to these terms and conditions but they do not affect your legal rights. If you do not agree with the terms and conditions you should not apply for a Membership, use our website or place an order.
- If you think there is a mistake in these terms and conditions or you have any questions, then please contact us to discuss.
- We may occasionally amend these terms and conditions and you should check them each time you place an order. These terms and conditions were last amended on 15 March 2018.
- You are only eligible for a Membership if you are aged 16 or older and are resident in the UK or Ireland. By submitting an order you are promising to us that you are at least 16 years old. We may at any point ask for proof of your age.
3. TYPES OF MEMBERSHIP
We offer different types of Membership:
- Individual Membership
- Member Plus
- Student Membership
As well as an upgrade to Premium Membership for Individual and Plus members on renewal in certain circumstances (referred to as the 'Premium upgrade' or 'Premium membership') (please see clause 10 for more details about the premium upgrade).
The benefits of these different types of Membership are detailed in clause 7 below. When you purchase a Membership, you will select a Membership category which will determine the cinemas at which you can use your free tickets and may also give you access to certain other offers and benefits specific to cinemas within your chosen category from time to time (please see clause 7.3 below). The locations and cinemas currently available which can be associated with each type of Membership are as follows:
West End category
- Picturehouse Central located at Corner of Great Windmill Street and Shaftesbury Avenue. Piccadilly, London, W1D 7DH.
- Fulham Road located at 142 Fulham Road, Kensingon , London, SW10 9QR.
- Clapham Picturehouse located at 76 Venn Street, London, SW4 0AT
- Crouch End Picturehouse located at 165 Tottenham Lane, London N8 9BY
- East Dulwich Picturehouse located at 116A Lordship Lane, London, SE22 8HD
- Gate Picturehouse located at 87 Notting Hill Gate, London, W11 3JZ
- Greenwich Picturehouse located at 180 Greenwich High Road, Greenwich, London, SE10 8NN
- Hackney Picturehouse located at 270 Mare Street, London, E8 1HE
- Ritzy Picturehouse located at Brixton Oval, Coldharbour Lane, London, SW2 1JG
- West Norwood Library & Picturehouse located at 1-7 Norwood High Street, London, SE27 9JU
- Ashford Picturehouse located at Elwick Road, Ashford, TN23 1AE
- Arts Picturehouse located at 38–39 St Andrew's Street, Cambridge, CB2 3AR
- Bromley Picurehouse located at 242 High Street, Bromley, BR1 1PQ
- The Cameo located at 38 Home Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9LZ
- Cinema City located at St Andrew's Street, Norwich, NR2 4AD
- City Screen Picturehouse located at 13–17 Coney Street, York, YO1 9QL
- Duke's at Komedia located at 44–47 Gardner Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1UN
- Duke of York's Picturehouse located at Preston Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 4NA
- Exeter Picturehouse located at 51 Bartholomew Street West, Exeter, EX4 3AJ
- Harbour Lights Picturehouse located at Ocean Village, Southampton, SO14 3TL
- The Little Theatre Cinema located at St Michael's Place, Bath, BA1 1SF
- Picturehouse @ FACT located at 88 Wood Street, Liverpool, L1 4DQ
- Phoenix Picturehouse located at 57 Walton Street, Oxford, OX2 6AE
- Regal Picturehouse located at 2 Boroma Way, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire RG9 2BZ
- Stratford-upon-Avon Picturehouse located at Windsor Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6NL
- Stratford Picturehouse located at Salway Road, London, E15 1BX
Please Note: The number, location and opening hours of Picturehouse Cinemas in any area or category may change during your Membership period. A list of current Picturehouse Cinemas is available from our website and the Membership helpline.
4. APPLICATION OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS
- You may apply for a Membership by completing the application form and making payment on our website or subscribing at the kiosk in a Picturehouse Cinema or by telephone on the Picturehouse phone line [0871 902 5747]. You may not apply for a Membership for anyone other than yourself.
- You may apply to renew your Membership online through your MyPicturehouse account, by calling the Membership Helpline or at the kiosk in any Picturehouse Cinema.
- Up until the point at which you place an online order, you can review it and make changes to it. Please take the time to check your order before submitting it. If you submit an order in error you will have the opportunity to cancel this as detailed in clause 5.
- If you place your order on a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday, the order will be processed and confirmed usually by the following business day in the UK.
- When placing an order you must provide us with complete and accurate payment information. By submitting payment details you promise that you are entitled to place the order and purchase Membership from us using those payment details. If we do not receive payment authorisation or any payment authorisation is subsequently cancelled, we may immediately terminate or suspend your access to your Membership. In suspicious circumstances we may contact the issuing bank/payment provider and/or law enforcement authorities or other appropriate third parties.
- We are not obliged to accept your order and can refuse to do so for any reason. We may also be unable to accept your order because:
We will let you know if this is the case and will not charge you for the Membership you have attempted to order.
- we have identified an error in the price or description of our services;
- we are unable to obtain authorisation for your payment;
- you do not meet the eligibility to order criteria as set out in these terms and conditions.
- If you have applied online and your application is accepted, we will send you a booking confirmation email containing the details of the temporary Membership number(s) and you will need to collect your Membership card at any Picturehouse Cinema. However, if you qualify for the upgrade to Picturehouse Premium Membership on renewal then your Membership card(s) will be posted to your address specified on your application form (see clause 7).
- If you have applied in a Picturehouse Cinema and your application is accepted, we will send you a booking confirmation email (provided that you specify your e-mail address on your application form) confirming receipt of your order and issue you with a Membership card. However, if you qualify for the upgrade to Picturehouse Premium Membership on renewal then your Membership card(s) will be posted to your address specified on your application form (see clause 7).
- The creation of an agreement between you and us for the Membership you register for will only occur when we confirm acceptance of your application and, if you purchased your Membership online, issue details of your temporary Membership number to you.
- All Memberships are annual. You understand that by purchasing a Membership you are committing to pay the full annual subscription fee in advance for that Membership for the period of 12 months (subject to these terms and conditions).
- No refund of the annual subscription fee for the period which is paid in advance will be made unless you cancel in accordance with clause 5 below or we are in breach of these terms and conditions in which case clause 14 applies.
- To purchase and use a Picturehouse Student Membership, a valid student ID is required and may be requested at any time.
- Please note that as part of the order process (whether online or at a Picturehouse Cinema) you will be asked to register a Member's account called a "MyPicturehouse account" with us and registration is for a single user only. When you receive your Membership card (see clause 4) you will need to activate your Membership via your MyPicturehouse account in order to access the full benefits of your Membership. On registration, you will be asked to choose a user name and password (this will be your "ID") this is personal to you. The email address that you provide must correspond to a named email account and not a generic or shared email account.
- You must not share your ID or give access to your MyPicturehouse account through your ID to anyone else. We may suspend or cancel your subscription and terminate the agreement and your Membership if you share your ID without our consent.
- You are responsible for all use of your Membership whether by you or anyone else who is using your ID and you must prevent unauthorised use of your ID.
- If you believe there has been any theft or unauthorised use of your ID or any payment information, you must notify us immediately at 0871 902 5747 or via [email protected] and immediately change your password by using the 'Forgot your password?' function on our website.
- We recommend that you change your user password regularly. Changes to your ID can be made by logging in to your "Manage My Account" section of your MyPicturehouse account.
5. CANCELLATION RIGHTS
- If you applied for your Membership via our website, you may cancel the Membership at any time within 15 days from the date your application is accepted and you receive our email containing your temporary Membership number (as referred to in clause 4 above). This period is known as the cancellation period.
- To cancel, you will need to contact the Membership helpline by phone, or in writing by email or post, and let us know of your decision to cancel or you can use our template cancellation form (please request one by emailing [email protected]) within the cancellation period.
- If you cancel in accordance with this clause 5 you will receive a full refund of any subscription fee you have paid for your Membership although, if you visit Picturehouse cinema(s) during the cancellation period, you will be charged and must pay for any free tickets used and/or other costs incurred by us arising from the visits to the cinema by you during that time, in which case the amount refunded will be reduced accordingly and, in certain circumstances, could mean that no refund is due.
- Refunds will be paid back to the credit, debit or charge card used to purchase the Membership (or such other method as we may need to use, such as BACS transfer) within 14 days of receipt of your notification to cancel.
6. MEMBERSHIP DISCOUNTS AND OFFERS
- In order to claim the food and beverage discounts referred to in 7 below, you must show your valid Membership card at the appropriate Picturehouse Cinema kiosk or bar or where the relevant discount or offer is available via our website, by inputting the relevant details on our website or Picturehouse App as directed.
- To claim the Membership discounts on the Picturehouse booking line, you will need your Membership number and will be required to pass security to access your account.
- We may occasionally make additional discounts and offers available to Picturehouse Members. The additional discounts and offers made available to Members are discretionary and may be withdrawn or amended at any time without notice. You will need to show your valid Membership card to claim these additional discounts and offers and they may also be subject to time restrictions, availability and other terms and conditions.
- To avoid disappointment, please ensure you check the terms and conditions for a promotional offer before trying to redeem it.
- We are not responsible for promotions related to our services where such promotions are published on external websites or other media.
7. FREE TICKETS, DISCOUNTS AND USING THE MEMBERSHIP CARD
- A valid Membership card entitles the holder to: discounted tickets at every Picturehouse Cinema; and the following free tickets every Membership year:
- Picturehouse standard Membership includes four free tickets;
- Picturehouse Membership Plus includes eight free tickets;
- Picturehouse Student Membership includes two free tickets.
Discounts on food and beverages purchased in every Picturehouse Cinema as follows:
- Picturehouse Student Membership: 25% discount; and
- Picturehouse standard Membership and Picturehouse Membership Plus: 10% discount (unless you have been upgraded to Picturehouse Premium Membership, in which case you will receive 20% discount).
Additional benefits of Membership Plus
- If you are a Membership Plus Member, you will have the following additional benefits:
- You will be entitled to bring up to three guests to any performance, each of whom will receive the same discount on the price of tickets as you for that performance; and
- We will give you an additional Membership card which can be given to any friend or family member. This additional card will be linked to your Membership and will cease upon expiry of your Membership. You are forbidden from charging a fee for the use of this additional card and if you do we may cancel your Membership.
- Free tickets cannot be used for premium priced events (such as Screen Arts shows or free-list-suspended films), and a 3D supplement will be payable on any 3D films unless you have been upgraded to Picturehouse Premium Membership (see clause 7(l) below).
- The free tickets can only be used in the following categories of Picturehouse Cinemas depending on the Picturehouse cinema category which is associated with the Membership:
- West End category: all Picturehouse Cinemas;
- London category: all Picturehouse Cinemas except Picturehouse Central and Fulham Road;
- Regional category: all regional Picturehouse Cinemas;
- Members may book their free tickets in advance (either online or in person at the category of Picturehouse Cinema which is included in their Membership) for programmed performances (please see (h) below for details of booking tickets online).
- Free tickets will only be valid whilst you have a current and valid Membership
Food and beverage discounts
- The discount on food and beverages is subject to exclusions of any other promotions and special offers which may apply to those purchases at that time and is for the named Membership cardholder only and available only on production of a valid Membership card. The discount is not applicable to group bills or party bookings. The manager's decision is final.
Booking tickets and claiming discounts
- To use the Membership card in the Picturehouse Cinema (whether to book tickets or to use any of the other benefits associated with Membership), the Member must present it at a Picturehouse Cinema Kiosk or bar. The Membership card will be scanned to check its validity, and additional identification may be requested. If the Membership card is validated, the Member will be issued with the ticket for the chosen screening and time subject to availability or granted the applicable benefit or discount. If the Membership card is not validated, the Picturehouse Member may be advised to contact the Membership helpline and no tickets or other benefit will be available until the Membership card is validated.
- Your Membership card is not transferable or for sharing (please however see clause 7.
- All film screenings are subject to normal restrictions such as age certifications, and to Picturehouse Cinemas' Terms Of Admission. The Member shall have no preferential rights of access to any screenings, except special screenings organised for Members.
- The Membership card must be shown when the tickets (including e-tickets) are checked before entering the relevant auditorium. Entrance will not be permitted without the Member presenting the Membership card.
Additional benefits if you are upgraded to Premium Membership
- If you have standard Membership or Membership Plus and you have been upgraded to Premium membership (please see (10) below), you will receive the following additional benefits:
- no upgrade fees or additional charges for 3D films (although a charge will be payable for the purchase of 3D glasses);
- 20% off food and beverages purchased in every Picturehouse Cinema
- your personalised Membership card will be sent to you by post so you won't need to collect your new card from a Picturehouse cinema.
8. PAYMENT OF ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEES
- The annual Membership fee for each type of Membership is available from our website, Picturehouse Cinemas and the Membership helpline or notified to you during the Membership application process and includes VAT. If the rate of VAT changes between your order date and the date we supply our services, we will adjust the rate of VAT that you pay, unless you have already paid for the Membership in full before the change in the rate of VAT takes effect.
- The annual Membership fee must be paid in advance at the same time as applying for Membership.
- Payment can be made using a debit, credit or charge card, Picturehouse gift cards and e-Gift vouchers or by direct debit. We accept all major credit or debit cards, including VISA, Mastercard and American Express.
- During the checkout process (if you are applying online) you will be asked for your payment details. By completing these you are confirming that the bank account information / debit or credit card is yours. All card payments are subject to authorisation by your card issuer.
- To make any payment by credit, debit or charge card, you must provide the cardholder's name and email address, the card number, the card security code, the card expiry date and (where applicable) the card start date and/or issue number.
- We reserve the right to increase the annual Membership fee but this will not affect any order you have already placed and which we have accepted for the relevant Membership period before the increase took effect.
- We will notify you at least 10 days in advance of your next renewal period any changes to your Membership fee that will apply upon next renewal.
- We make every effort to ensure that the correct prices are displayed on our website. However, if we realise services have been given the wrong price, we will correct this without delay.
- If we discover an error in the price of the Membership or any other services you have ordered before they are provided to you, we will contact you to inform you of this error and will give you the option of continuing to purchase at the correct price or cancelling your order. If we are unable to contact you, we will treat the order as cancelled and notify you accordingly.
- Please note that if a pricing error is obvious and unmistakeable and could have reasonably been recognised by you as a mispricing, we do not have to provide our services to you at the incorrect (lower) price.
9. AUTOMATIC RENEWAL IF PAYING BY DIRECT DEBIT
- If you choose to make continuous payment by Direct Debit with your bank, your Membership subscription will automatically continue at the end of your Membership period and the Membership period will be extended for a further year unless you notify us you do not wish to renew.
- We will notify you at least 10 days in advance of the renewal date to inform you that your renewal is due and of any increase in the Membership fee.
- If you want to change the bank account to be debited, you may telephone the Membership helpline to provide the new Direct Debit details. You will need to cancel your old Direct Debit instruction directly with your bank. You must give us at least three weeks to process these changes.
10. UPGRADE TO PICTUREHOUSE PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP AND OTHER OFFERS
- We will automatically upgrade your standard Membership or Plus Membership (but not your Student Membership) to Premium Membership (at no extra charge) if you renew your Membership after your first year provided that you pay the applicable Membership fee before expiry of your first Membership year. This means you will continue to enjoy the benefits of your Standard Membership or Plus Membership with the extra benefits of Premium Membership (please see 7(l) for more details). As long as you keep renewing, this upgrade to Premium Membership will also apply to every Membership year after this year. If you cease to be a Member and you wish to become a Member again, you will have to purchase a standard Membership (or Plus Membership) for one year before you will be entitled to an upgrade to Premium Membership again.
- We may also make other offers available to you at the date of renewal (or otherwise) but such offers are discretionary and may be withdrawn or changed by us from time to time. Details of current offers (if any) will be published on our website.
11. LOST, STOLEN OR DEFECTIVE CARDS
- You will need to telephone the Membership helpline as soon as possible to report any lost or stolen Membership card.
- For the avoidance of doubt, no refunds will be given for cinema tickets purchased by you between the date the card was lost, stolen or damaged or a replacement card was requested and the date the you receive your new card. You will not be entitled to a discounted ticket until the replacement card has been received and is presented as necessary at a Picturehouse Cinema to obtain or collect tickets and to gain entry to the auditorium. You will be able to collect a replacement card at any Picturehouse Cinema, if you can answer certain security questions (for example, your name and membership number) to allow staff to access your account.
- We will charge the following administration fees for each replacement Membership card we have to issue to:
You can also access a digital version of your Membership card by using our app.
- Free of charge to any Members who are in their first year;
- £5 for Members who have a Premium Membership card (to be paid at a Picturehouse Cinema) and the replacement card will be posted to your home address.
- We may make minor changes to these terms and conditions from time to time to correct errors, to clarify terms, to comply with any law or regulation that applies to us, or to update these terms and conditions to reflect changes to the way our systems work or enhancements to the Membership scheme. You will not be specifically notified of such changes, but they will be on our website. To see the most up-to-date version of these terms and conditions, please always check our website. No such changes shall disadvantage you or a Picturehouse Member.
- Additionally, we reserve the right to make other more material changes to these terms and conditions in which case we will notify you of the change by contacting you using the details you have provided. This will usually be by email but we may contact you using a different method of communication, for example by post. If these changes are to your disadvantage, you may terminate your Membership within 30 days from the date we have notified you of the changes. In order to do so you must notify us in writing of your request to terminate, stating the reason for termination. Following receipt of your termination notice we will refund the Membership fee paid by you after deducting an amount equal to the value of the use of the Membership Card by you prior to the termination date. Refunds will be paid back to the credit, debit or charge card or other method of payment used by you in purchasing the Membership (or such other method as we may need to use, such as BACS transfer) as soon as reasonably practicable. On termination, we will deactivate your Membership card.
13. INFORMATION PROVIDED
- You confirm that the personal information you provide that identifies you (including contact information) is accurate and complete, and that you are authorised to provide such personal information. It is your responsibility to ensure that such personal information is kept up to date, and we will not be responsible for matters arising from errors or omissions in personal information at any time. You may update your own details at any time online via your MyPicturehouse account (where the relevant function is available) or by contacting the Membership helpline.
- We will use your personal information in accordance with the Picturehouse Privacy Notice. The Privacy Notice contains more detail about how we collect and use your personal information and you should read it carefully and make sure that you understand it before applying for Membership.
- When communicating with you, we will use the contact information (email address and phone numbers) provided in your MyPicturehouse account. It is therefore important that you keep your contact details updated.
14. ISSUES WITH YOUR MEMBERSHIP
- We promise to provide the Membership services to you with reasonable skill and care and to use reasonable efforts to promptly remedy any faults of which we become aware. However we do not provide any other promises or warranties about Picturehouse Membership, our website or services.
- You have the right to terminate your Membership where:
- we have told you about an error in the price or description of our services you have ordered and you do not wish to proceed;
- there is a risk that supply of our services may be significantly delayed because of events outside our control;
- we have suspended or have notified you that we are going to suspend supply of our services for technical reasons for a period of more than 14 consecutive days; or
- where we have failed to comply with these terms and conditions in a serious way and we are unable to cure such failure within a reasonable time period.
- If you wish to terminate your Membership for any of the reasons detailed in this clause 14 please notify us by e-mailing us or writing to us at the contact details provided at picturehouses.co.uk/contact. Your Membership will end and your Membership card will be de-activated and invalidated as soon as we receive your notification and we will refund you in full the Membership fee you have paid less a deduction for the price of any use you have made of your Membership up to and including the date of your termination notice.
15. YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to services that are faulty or not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau. Nothing in these terms and conditions will affect these legal rights.
16. SUSPENSION AND TERMINATION BY PICTUREHOUSE
- We may suspend your Membership and temporarily deactivate your Membership Card or terminate your Membership (in our discretion) if:
- you fail to make any payment to us when due;
- we suspect any fraud in any matter connected to your Membership;
- any significant misuse of your Membership or Membership card;
- you breach any of our Terms of Entry (insert link) or you engage in any behaviour or activity that is disruptive to or damaging to any Picturehouse Cinema;
- any other serious breach of these terms and conditions which is either not capable of cure or which (if capable of cure) is not cured by you within the reasonable time period we specify.
- If we terminate your Membership under this clause 16, we may refund any Membership fee you have paid but shall be entitled to deduct the price of any services you have used since the start of your Membership and a fair amount to reflect the loss to us from terminating the Membership in such circumstances. This right does not limit any other rights we may have against you.
- On termination, we will deactivate and invalidate your Membership card.
17. OUR LIABILITY
- If we fail to comply with these terms and conditions, we are responsible for any loss or damage that you suffer that is a foreseeable result of us breaking this agreement or failing to use reasonable care and skill, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable either if it is obvious that it will happen or if at the time of your application both you and we knew it might happen.
- Please note though that Picturehouse cinemas may be closed on a permanent or temporary basis from time to time, including for refurbishment or due to an event outside our control (as described below). We do not accept any liability for loss or damage in these circumstances. Details of such closures can be found on our social media channels or by calling the Membership helpline.
- We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform or delay in performance that is caused by events outside its reasonable control, including any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident which may be due to the following:
We do not exclude or restrict our liability for fraud, or for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence or that of its contractors or agents, and nothing in this clause shall operate to exclude, restrict or limit this liability.This agreement is between us and you and no other person shall have any rights to enforce this agreement.If we do not insist that you perform any of your obligations under these terms and conditions, or do not enforce or delay enforcing its rights, that will not mean that we have waived our rights nor that you do not have to comply with those obligations unless we have confirmed this in writing to you.English law governs these terms and all aspects of the relationship between us and you, The English courts shall have non-exclusive jurisdiction to hear any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these terms and conditions. This means you may bring a claim to enforce your consumer protection rights in connection with these terms and conditions in England or in the EU country in which you live.We will only write and communicate with you in the English language.
- Strikes, lockouts or other industrial action
- Civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war or threat or preparation for war
- Fire, explosion, adverse weather, snowfall, ice, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster
- Disruption to or failure of the railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport
- Disruption to or failure of public or private telecommunications networks, the Internet, utility supplies or postal services
- Closure of or limited access to Picturehouse Cinemas on the grounds of our reasonable health and safety concerns
- Any governmental act, decree, legislation, regulation or restriction
18. QUESTIONS AND COMPLAINTS
- All complaints or queries should be addressed to the Customer Care Team by post (c/o The Ritzy, Brixton Oval, Coldharbour Lane, London SW2 1LG) or by email ([email protected]) or by phone (0871 902 5747).
- Alternative dispute resolution is a process where an independent body considers the facts of a dispute and seeks to resolve it, without you having to go to court. If you are not happy with how we have handled any complaint, you may want to use alternative dispute resolution. The European Commission has established a website for online dispute resolution which is available at www.ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr, and which is designed to assist consumers in resolving disputes online without having to go to court.
Last updated 20 December 2019